The rebuild and install of the heater box wasn't just the completion of the under-dash but also the beginning of the completion of the engine compartment because it meant that the remaining holes in the firewall were now filled. Now, the next step seems pretty straight forward but I procrastinated it for a couple of days until I could come to terms with what had to happen next. All the firewall penetration points needed to be sealed and the firewall in general, needed to be uglified because that's how the factory did it. If the factory jumped off a cliff would I? Probably, but with much introspection first. The problem was that, in my eyes, my firewall was a thing of beauty. Ten times the glory of Helen of Troy, 30 times the beguile of Cleopatra, and 50 times the charm of Laura Kaeppeler. So, understandably, I cried a little when I smeared a tube of sealer all over every nut, bolt, and rubber plug on my once-pristine firewall. As if that weren't enough of a crime, I followed up with shots of 3M rubberized undercoating. I should be jailed for this travesty.
|Oh man, I think I'm going to be sick...|
Also, I installed the ash tray and glove box. No radio yet because I want to weigh my options a bit more. The steering wheel was installed and wired in.
|Looks almost like it's ready to drive.|
Aaaanyhoo, I poured 2 quarts into the new (purple?) torque converter (TC) and carefully seated it on the input shaft of the C4 making sure to wiggle it and adjust it until it was fully seated on the input shaft, the pump stator, and the TC hub to pump. Regarding how much fluid to place in the TC, my research revealed that the TC could technically be left empty because the C4 pump will fill it within seconds. I also, found more conservative info stating that the TC should contain a couple of quarts so the internal vanes don't spin dry. I went with the conservative method.
|Engine plate and flex plate.|
|Barney The Purple Torque Converter (I spin you, you spin me...)|
Once the bolts were in, I torqued them to spec and then rotated the flex plate to access each of the four TC studs and tightened them in turn. The engine/trans was placed on a tripod of three jack stands. One under each motor mount and one under the C4 extension housing where I installed the starter and stored the assembly for a few days until ready to drop it into the car.
|Aligning the engine to C4|
|The Eagle has landed|
|The alignment of the lower drain plug with the flex plate drain plug hole.|
|Flex plate rotated to install the TC nuts|
Regardless of the issues, my helper (thanks sweety!!!!) held the C4 extension in line with the tunnel while I pumped the hoist and cranked the leveler. After about an hour, we managed to get it down into the engine compartment and aligned with the engine mounts. Some fine adjustments allowed the two mounting bolts into place. The rear of the C4 was supported by a rolling floor jack during the final few minutes to level the engine up and support it while the transmission cross member was installed.
|Starting the drop|
|Getting there (thanks helper!|
|Transmission cross member.|
|Confirming the compression stroke on cylinder 1.|
|Heater hoses and coil hooked up.|
|Battery ground and alternator ground cables.|
|Battery tray with positive battery cable.|
|The export braces installed between the cowl and shock towers.|
|A rusty, pitted, shiftless mess|
|Cleaned up, painted, new bushings.|
|Linkage hooked up.|
|Good to go.|
I went so far as to remove the radiator from the shed and clean it up. I did a simple pressure test using a garden hose and found a leak. The radiator has since been dropped off at a radiator shop. Also, a windshield, gasket, and sealer are on order so stay tuned!